برنامج Hotspot Shield | برنامج Internet Download Manager | برنامج كاسبر سكاى | برنامج جوجل كروم | تحميل فايرفوكس

• 'England always go into tournaments to win,' says Hodgson
• Calls on fans to unite behind him and team

The new England manager, Roy Hodgson, has insisted that he is aiming to win Euro 2012 after his appointment as Fabio Capello's permanent successor was confirmed.

Looking forward to the European Championship, Hodgson acknowledged he did not have much time to settle into the job before the tournament but called on England fans to unite behind him and the team. "It's going to be difficult of course but hopefully I've got time," he said. "Obviously I've been working here for the last five years so the players are pretty well known to me even though I haven't worked with them all. I've done as much research and spoken to as many people as I can."

Asked about England's prospects in Poland and the Ukraine, Hodgson said: "England always have to go in tournaments to win them because we are a major football nation. I certainly think the players would be very disappointed if we expected anything less of them than to win the tournament."

Hodgson has put back the announcement of England's squad until after the Premier League season ends on 13 May. "It's going to be very important after this press conference to get straight down to the task, making certain that when the time comes to name the squad I've done as much research as I can and spoken to as many players as I can," he said.

But he did confirm that Wayne Rooney would be selected, even though the striker is suspended for England's opening two games. "I'm looking forward to Wayne Rooney coming to the Euros with us and making a contribution even though he cannot play the first two games," he said.

Hodgson has agreed a four-year contract, and shrugged off speculation as to why the bookies' favourite Harry Redknapp was not approached. The FA's chairman, David Bernstein, refused to comment on any other manager, though he insisted: "It was not a two-man race. Other candidates were looked at very seriously, whose names I won't give out."

Hodgson, meanwhile, spoke of his admiration for the Tottenham Hotspur manager. "We've unwittingly become rivals but I hope it won't affect our friendship and I think he's dealt with the situation extremely well in all his interviews," he said.

The 64-year-old called upon fans to get behind the team now that the issue of finding a replacement for Fabio Capello has been settled. "It is a very proud day for me, I'm a very happy man to be offered the chance to manage my country," Hodgson continued. "I'm looking forward to the task ahead. Everyone knows it is not an easy one but I'm hoping that everyone, fans and supporters will get behind the team.

"It's the team that counts, they go out and win football matches. What I'll do is try to make sure the team is well prepared for the challenge ahead. I'm really looking forward to it. "The most important thing for me is that the whole country gets behind England and gives us the best chance of doing well at the Euros."

Hodgson's appointment has gone down well with the England midfielder Jack Wilshere, who tweeted his support despite being unavailable for the Euros through injury. "Not many have the experience that Roy Hodgson [has], proved he is a top manager at international level so don't see no reason why he can't do it," he wrote. "Good choice in my opinion! Good luck and I hope I can help him in some way in the future!" Read More

هل تريد وضع المحتوى السابق فى موقعك او مدونتك مجانا؟؟
انسخ الكود التالى و ضعه فى موقعك او مدونتك.

موضوعات عشوائية

الارشيف